Excuse Me, Miss, I Think You Dropped Something:
The Greatest Albums Not Making Enough “Best Of 2009″ Lists

by Kevin Vegetables on December 21, 2009

It’s year-end best-ofs time, and there are hundreds of lists (themselves listed at Largehearted Boy) out there for the mining. This year’s themes seems to be:

1. working hard to convince yourself there are better albums than Merriweather Post Pavilion,  just so you don’t appear to be following the crowd
  2. taking the Decemberists and Andrew Bird for granted
  3. either pretending you discovered The xx or saying you still love them despite their ubiquity and popularity (their debut album is two months old)

You can always catch my favorites as I update them here, but I think it’s silly to rank them. I thought a better use of our year-end space-time might be to shine a light on four albums that I think are amazing, yet aren’t populating enough best-ofs for my liking:

UNDESERVEDLY UNDER THE RADAR

Joe Gideon & The Shark: Harum ScarumJoe Gideon & The Shark – Harum Scarum

Somebody please tell me you saw this on somebody’s year-end list (preferably somebody incredibly influential). I refuse to let Joe Gideon and his sister Viva (The Shark) go by unnoticed. Storytelling, humor, atmosphere, and a sound both refreshingly new and comfortably familiar (in a 1980′s Mute Records way).

“D.O.L.”

“Kathy Ray”

The Taxpayers: A Rhythm In The CagesThe Taxpayers – A Rhythm In The Cages

If The Taxpayers had hired a PR firm, they’d be littering the year-end lists, with writers falling over themselves to praise their creativity and fire. But the Taxpayers are actual punk band — a collection of young, passionate humans who believe in doing things themselves — so instead they just ended up with a wonderful album and their integrity. Good deal. Buy it here, then tell your friends.

The Taxpayers play Retox in SF on 12/22 and 924 Gilman in Berkeley on 12/27.

“Dig Too Deep”

“White Walls”

GETTIN’ SOME LOVE, JUST NOT ENOUGH

Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic ZerosEdward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros – Up From Below

This mess of lovable hippies put out their first album in July and by the end of the year they had sold out the Great American Music Hall. Up From Below is a love-soaked ramble, but the live show (more of a love-soaked shambles) is what’s endeared so many people to this band. They played pretty much every night for the last six months, so they’ve earned it.

“Home”

“40 Day Dream”

“Kisses Over Babylon”

The Fiery Furnaces: I'm Going AwayThe Fiery Furnaces – I’m Going Away

Fuck Buttons got hella love this year for taking a step towards accessibility, but when it comes to year-end lists in the indie arena, longevity seems to work against everyone but Radiohead. The Fiery Furnaces’ sixth studio album is a classic collection of American crackpot pop, made by intimidatingly smart and talented siblings.

“Charmaine Champagne”

“Even In The Rain”

{ 112 comments… read them below or add one }

cyber monday cheap custom baseball jerseys mlb November 20, 2014 at 2:57 pm

I’m really loving the theme/design of your website. Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility issues? A number of my blog visitors have complained about my website not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Safari. Do you have any recommendations to help fix this issue?
cyber monday cheap custom baseball jerseys mlb http://www.cyclelogicracing.com/index.asp?shop=cyber-monday-cheap-custom-baseball-jerseys-mlb&id=4882

moncler striped cap black white green November 20, 2014 at 9:21 pm

I was curious if you ever thought of changing the layout of your site? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or 2 pictures. Maybe you could space it out better?
moncler striped cap black white green http://www.missionmentors.com/moncler-striped-cap-black-white-green-p-6815.html

ugg scuffette ii November 22, 2014 at 1:23 am

Along with every thing which appears to be building inside this subject material, your points of view are actually rather radical. Even so, I am sorry, because I do not subscribe to your whole plan, all be it refreshing none the less. It looks to everyone that your comments are actually not completely rationalized and in fact you are generally your self not really thoroughly confident of your argument. In any event I did appreciate examining it.
ugg scuffette ii http://www.personalherbs.com/index.asp?shop=ugg-scuffette-ii&id=8108

office shoes baby uggs November 22, 2014 at 9:51 am

Hey! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace group? There’s a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Cheers
office shoes baby uggs http://bighorntraders.com/index.asp?shop=office-shoes-baby-uggs&id=5247

????? [????]??? COACH ??? ??? ?????? F26241 B4/MX ????? ??????????? ???????? ??????/???????? ??????????? ?????????? November 22, 2014 at 11:02 am
bailey button uggs plum November 22, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Please let me know if you’re looking for a author for your site. You have some really good posts and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some content for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please blast me an email if interested. Kudos!
bailey button uggs plum http://www.keransunaskigilmore.co.uk/index.asp?shop=bailey-button-uggs-plum&id=2329

jimmy choo sora tassel black uggs sale uk November 22, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Hey there! I understand this is sort of off-topic however I had to ask. Does managing a well-established blog like yours require a massive amount work? I am completely new to blogging but I do write in my journal on a daily basis. I’d like to start a blog so I can share my personal experience and views online. Please let me know if you have any kind of recommendations or tips for new aspiring bloggers. Thankyou!
jimmy choo sora tassel black uggs sale uk http://www.beautyandwellbeing.org.uk/index.asp?shop=jimmy-choo-sora-tassel-black-uggs-sale-uk&id=1058

???????? ?? ??? November 22, 2014 at 11:36 pm

?????????????????| |???????????????I ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????Web????????????????????????
???????? ?? ??? http://sm3voip.com/Download/shop.asp?id=bottega-veneta/563287793

???HOT ???? ?????? ?????? TOPEAK ???? RedLite Race ?????? ??? LPT06300 M ????????? November 25, 2014 at 7:25 am
ka November 25, 2014 at 11:49 am

The main reason why almost anything that you have discovered about high heels is undoubtedly false and what you need to know.
ka http://www.overheaddoornwi.com/sitemap.asp?replica-michael-kors-handbags-wholesalers/bqkmckgf-p-624.php

http://www.ventedor.net/4234m8C352pM9x8mlyjf.html November 25, 2014 at 12:13 pm
Michael Kors Logo Monogram outlet November 26, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Thank you, I have been hunting for facts about this subject for ages and yours is the best I’ve found so far.
Michael Kors Logo Monogram outlet http://enchantedgardeninn.com/index.asp?shop=Michael-Kors-Logo-Monogram-outlet&id=13918